If you’re a cigar lover, then you need to make sure you are equipped with plenty Boveda humidity packs. Keeping your cigars fresh means keeping the humidity in check as high humidity spoils the tobacco leaves. And lack of proper humidity will dry out the leaves. This threatens the integrity of the cigar and the taste (oils and flavours) for a less than satisfactory smoke.
The good news is we rely on Boveda Products and their patented two-way humidity control to protect the cigars during shipping. But Boveda products aren’t just limited to protecting cigars during the shipping process; you can also use them in your humidor.
How can you utilize Boveda packs in your humidor? Read on to find out.
How Do Boveda Packs Work?
Before Boveda, preventing humidity from reaching cigars took a lot of effort; and then Boveda came up with the simple two-way humidity pack solution that changed everything.
Boveda packs harness purified water and natural salts that have been saturated into a solution and sealed in a water-vapour permeable membrane to care for your cigars. The membrane acts as two-way humidity control: when water is needed, Boveda releases purified humidity, and when it’s too humid, the pack soaks in the moisture.
It’s maintenance-free, FDA-approved, easy to use, and effective for commercial or personal use.
Boveda Product Chart for Cigars
With so many types of cigars and humidors, Boveda created a pack to meet all your needs. Here are some of the more common Boveda Packs to control Relative Humidity (RH):
- Cuban Cigars (65%): If you enjoy Cubans, they are prone to mould at higher RH levels, so these packs are designed specifically for them. 65% is recommended for keeping up to 1lb of unflavoured pipe tobacco fresh.
- Airtight Humidors (69%): The top seller, these packs are suitable for any airtight humidor material (Tupperware, bag or whatnot) and can also protect up to 1lb of unflavoured pipe tobacco.
- Most Humidors (72%): Whether you have a wood, travel case or glass humidor, these Boveda packs will control humidity for a smooth smoke every time. Great for fragile wrapped cigars or 1lb of flavoured pipe tobacco.
- Drafty Humidors (75%): If your humidor is leaky or you live in a dry climate, 75% Boveda is perfect for you. They protect fragile wrapped cigars and 1lb of flavoured pipe tobacco in most wooden humidors.
- Humidor Seasoning (84%): This special packet is for seasoning your new or existing wooden humidor — without cigars present.
Boveda Pack Types
Once you’ve narrowed down the Boveda product that’s right for you, then it’s time to decide the quantity you need. However, bear in mind, Boveda packs are good for 2 years when left in a sealed package.
- Individually Wrapped: Boveda packs are in the original factory sealed packs and are available in single or 12 packs.
- Unwrapped in Zipper Plastic: These packs are factory sealed together in a high-barrier zippered bag and contains four packs.
- Unwrapped in Resealable Plastic: These packs are factory sealed in a high-barrier resealable plastic and hold 20 per package.
Knowing how many Boveda packs is essential because how many packs you’ll need for your humidor depends on how many cigars you keep. There are also different size packs available:
- Boveda Size 8g: For travel use, containers use 1 pack to keep your product (up to 5 cigars) safe from humidity.
- Boveda Size 60g: Use 1 pack for every 25 cigars or 4 packs for a humidor that holds 100 cigars.
- Boveda Size 320g: Excellent for big humidors or longer-lasting results in any humidor as 1 size 320g pack is equivalent to 5 size 60s!
When to Replace Your Boveda
Eventually, your pack will run out of juice; for wooden humidors, an activated pack can last 2-4 months, while an airtight container pack lasts 6-9 months. However, to prevent any damage to your cigars, these are the signs of pack replacement to watch out for:
- Pack Dryness: When a Boveda is dry, it becomes wafer-like and a sign it’s no longer working. However, if the corners harden, that’s normal.
- Working too Hard: If your humidor is leaky or in need of seasoning, you’ll notice your packs won’t last even two months — it’s time to reseason or add more packs.
- Date Stamp Your Pack: To prevent forgetting when you placed your pack in your humidor, write the date on it.
Most Popular Boveda Packs for Cigars
There’s no need to worry about your cigars losing their freshness or flavour anymore with Boveda packs. From delivery fresh from Cigar Chief to your humidor, Boveda packs prevent your cigars from spoiling.
Boveda is available in 62, 65, 69, 72, 75 and 84 (exclusively for seasoning). All Boveda are accurate to +/- 1% of the RH printed on the pack in an air-tight environment. Humidors are not airtight. Depending on humidor quality and ambient conditions, it’s not uncommon for the actual RH to be stable anywhere from 2-6 points below the Boveda RH you’ve chosen. This is why we recommend 72% for your first set after seasoning. If it’s 72 on the nose, you’re perfect. If it drops a few points, you’re still perfect. Based on how your humidor performs, you can decide whether to move to 62, 65, 69 or 75.
A) If an accurate hygrometer (calibrate it with our calibration kit) tells you you’re 60% or less, re-season it with our 84% Boveda. While the humidor is re-seasoning, REMOVE all cigars, put them in Tupperware with 69 or 72% and they’ll be perfect while your humidor conditions. It MAY NOT take the usual 14 days to season, since you’re starting somewhere in the middle. Calibrate your hygro with our calibration kit and only leave the 84% in (1 per 25 cigars the humidor holds) until the RH inside reaches 68-72%.
B) If an accurate hygrometer (calibrate it with our calibration kit) tells you it’s 60% RH or more, just use the 1 Boveda per 25 cigars it holds in 72%. This way, the 72’s are doing the rest of the seasoning while caring for your cigars and keep you at a safe RH once it’s finished. NOTE: Because the Boveda are essentially seasoning while caring for the cigars, they’re working double hard. So the first set of Boveda will not last as long as subsequent sets will.
C) If you haven’t calibrated your hygrometer with our kit, you can never be certain what’s happening in your humidor or how to fix it. Hygrometers are imprecise and require calibration. With our one step kit, you’ll know the accuracy of your hygrometer in 24 hours.
No, throw them out. They’re only reservoirs for holding water and only give off 100% humidity – despite their claims. Those items give off flavors and films that keep you from enjoying your cigars the way the master blender intended.
We recommend using at least one 60 gram Boveda per 25 cigars your humidor holds, even if it isn’t full. It’s still air space and wood that needs proper humidification. And because Boveda will never over-humidify beyond the number on the pack, using more than is recommended will just work more efficiently and need to be replaced less often. So with Boveda, you can never buy more than you need.
Individual packs are wrapped in clear plastic to give them a two year shelf life. A cube is just 12 individually wrapped Boveda. A brick is a little different, it’s 20 unwrapped Boveda. As long as you re-close the master bag after removing the next round of Boveda for your humidor, they’ll have a two year shelf life inside the bag. Buying by the brick gives you the best Boveda pricing available.
Boveda was designed as a stand-alone two-way moisture control. When you introduce a wet sponge, crystal, gel or beads, Boveda is absorbing the very high humidity given off by these 1-way humidification devices, giving you mixed results. Just use at least one Boveda per 25 cigar capacity for perfect and predictably precise results.